‘Tis the season for cookies, strawberry thumbprint cookies.
I am not kidding when I say this is the season for cookies. I love this time of year for all the holiday baking! From cookies to breads, this is the perfect time for baking. These strawberry thumbprint cookies are not only beautiful, but the shortbread taste of the cookie base goes well with the strawberry preserves. See why these cookies should be on your baking list this holiday.
Cookies for the holidays.
Whether you are baking for family or friends, the holidays makes baking more enjoyable. Most of us are truly baking with love. I love to gift cookies during the holidays! This year may be a little different, but I will still be in the kitchen baking. This strawberry thumbprint cookies recipe is not only easy, but it truly is delicious. The shortbread cookie texture with the dollop of strawberry preserves is like a match made in heaven. These cookies are not too sweet either. Did I mention that the kids would love to make these? They are great for little hands!
Another plus about the cookies is you can prep them ahead of time. The cookies do well being frozen if needed.
A recipe to keep.
These strawberry thumbprint cookies do not require a lot of ingredients either. You may already have all the ingredients in you pantry and refrigerator already! If you don’t have strawberry preserves or maybe don’t care for that flavor, you can opt for another jam/preserves. I know some even go for the more sweet option: a Hershey’s Kiss. It is totally up to you what you want to put in the thumbprint indention of the cookie.
Take it from me though. The strawberry preserves really does make these cookies good!
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- Cream the butter, powdered sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl
- Add flour and salt, and mix well
- Divide the dough in half, shape each into a disk, and wrap separately in plastic; chill for a bout 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 375; line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, about 2" apart. Using your thumb, gently press in the center of the dough.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool for cookies, then fill each center with 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry preserves. Dust the cookies with powdered sugar.
Store in an airtight container up to 3 days, or freeze up to 3 months.
Give a gift of love: baking love.
No matter what the holidays may look like this year, make a point to get in the kitchen and bake. There is just something magical about baking during the holidays. This strawberry thumbprint cookies recipe is perfect for that baking session!