Spring has sprung, and so has the baking!
I am normally all about baking during the holiday months: Thanksgiving and Christmas. Things have changed a tad bit this year. I am loving all this spring-inspired baking! This is where these Gluten Free Sandwich Cookies come into play. A hint of peanut butter cookies with a bright blue buttercream frosting sandwiched in between and the spring sprinkle mix as an added touch.
Gluten free is more than delicious, thanks to a good almond flour.
My family does not have any diet restrictions due to allergies. This doesn’t mean that I don’t like to incorporate allergen-free food products into our food options. I find that we all do better when we incorporate this type of foods into our diet. I have used almond flour before this recipe. Macarons are an all-time favorite of mine. Well more like a love-hate relationship due to the process. I am a perfectionist at heart, and macarons tend to push that trait of mine. If you haven’t checked out any of my macaron recipes, then its a must! https://www.thesproutingminds.com/recipe/easy-macaron-recipe-with-a-buttercream-filling/
Choosing a good almond flour really is important. It will change the texture of whatever you are baking. The more fine the almond flour, the less gritty the baked good will be. This has always been the case for me when I use almond flour! So many think that you must have a food allergy or diet restriction to enjoy gluten free foods, but that is not the case. See for yourself why you need to bake these gluten free sandwich cookies.
Gluten Free Sandwich Cookies are all around good.
I wasn’t sure how these cookies would turn out. Like I mentioned above, I have baked with almond flour before, but I haven’t baked with it without eggs. This recipe is more like a peanut butter cookie recipe, in that you don’t use any egg products. You can make this gluten free recipe even more ‘healthier’ by substituting the sugar used as well as omitting the sandwich cookie feature. Another option for the sweetener would be 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
Now, lets get to that recipe!
- 2 cups almond flour (Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour)
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbs peanut butter
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of milk
- blue food coloring, gel
- spring sprinkle mix
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Prepare cookie dough: add all the dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix with a fork
- Add the peanut butter and milk. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into a dough ball, and wrap in saran wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours. If you store longer than 30 minutes, make sure to all the dough to soften a little at room temperature before trying to handle.
- On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, roll the dough into 1"-2" balls. Space them out about 1" apart.
- Take a spoon and gently press down on the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Allow cookies to fully cool before creating the sandwiches.
- Prepare the buttercream: I like to make this while the cookies are baking. Add the softened butter to the mixing bowl. Make sure it is completely softened at room temperature before working with it.
- Whip the butter until it is creamy. Then add the powdered sugar to the bowl.
- Mix on low speed at first, then turn it up to medium-high.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk.
- Mix until you get the consistency you want, about 2-3 minutes. If you want it any thicker, slowly add more powdered sugar until you get the consistency you desire.
- Stir in the food coloring. Mix for less than a minute until it is all incorporated.
- Put the frosting in a plastic bag or piping bag. Place about 1 tablespoon into the center of some of the cooled cookies.
- Create a sandwich by gently putting a cookie with frosting with one that is without frosting.
- Add the spring inspired sprinkles around the exposed frosting.
Store these cookies up to 1 week in an air tight food container.
Celebrate with Gluten Free Cookies.
This is the best time to celebrate, with Easter being around the corner and those summer months approaching. These Gluten Free Sandwich Cookies are a great way to celebrate! Now, see for yourself why we love these so much!