Celebrating the fall season with a fall savory dinner recipe, Butternut Squash and Sausage Alfredo Pasta.
I couldn’t help myself and kicked off the fall season a week or so early. The thoughts of fall always come a little early considering all of us in Louisiana are more than ready for the cooler fall weather. Well, weather that is much cooler than the scorching summer heat. Butternut squash is one fall veggie that I am always down for, especially when you put it in a pasta. Check out this Butternut Squash and Sausage Alfredo Pasta for yourself!
Butternut Squash and the other fall veggies.
It took me a while to realize that there were actually spring, summer, and fall veggies. You would have thought that I would have known that already. It wasn’t until I wanted to try out a recipe with a certain veggie and couldn’t find it that I realized how not all veggies are easily attainable all year round. Butternut squash is one of those fall veggies, but it isn’t as difficult as some.
I did have trouble finding a fresh butternut squash for this recipe. I opted for the cut up frozen butternut squash instead. This actually worked out to be advantage because it saved me a lot of time during the prep work. Hey, I am all about an easy and simple recipe that doesn’t take a whole lot of time!
All about the alfredo sauce.
I am all about this homemade alfredo sauce. I will always make my own before I buy another store bought version. You can add so much flavor and depth when you make your own alfredo sauce. It is basically making a roux, then adding milk and cheese! Oh, and the seasonings. The alfredo sauce mixed with the butternut squash and sausage is absolutely delicious! Let’s check out how easy this Butternut Squash and Sausage Alfredo Pasta really is.
- 1 12oz package of Frozen Butternut Squash Cubes
- 1 1lb package of Bowtie Pasta Noodles
- 1 package of 3 links of Aidells Italian Style Sausage
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1/2 a cup of milk-up to 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place frozen butternut squash on to a parchemnt paper lined cookie sheet
- Cook the bowtie noodles according to package.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the pieces
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown
- Prep sausage: cut into quater pieces.
- Place sausage into a pan, drizzle with olive oil, and cook/brown on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes
- Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- Prepare the alfredo sauce: add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Heat up on low-medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. Stir until beginning to brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour, and mix well. You want to continuously stir to prevent the flour from burning. When you notice the flour beginning to brown (after about 5 minutes of stirring), add the 1/2 cup of milk. The flour will look like it seizes up when you add the milk. Just continue to stir and it will all mix in.
- Stir until it is all incorporated. Then add seasonings and stir.
- Toss in the noodles and sausage. Once you have it all covered well, add the butternut squash. Top off with some shredded parmesean cheese.
The perfect savory pasta dish for this fall, Butternut Squash and Sausage Alfredo Pasta. The combination of the butternut squash with the sausage is so good!
Celebrating the fall season with a savory dish.
No better way to celebrate the fall season with another great recipe that inspires all things fall. The butternut squash and sausage combo with the alfredo sauce and bowtie is absolutely delicious. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!