I am always down for a good bowl of pasta, from red to creamy white sauce. Plain noodles are just as delicious! This Blackened Chicken Alfredo recipe has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember. See for you self what makes this homemade style Alfredo so good!
More than just a pasta.
A pasta dish is even more delicious when it has a level to its flavor. Pasta is naturally bland. This is why we salt the water before we boil it. Your sauce is what will bring the flavor to the dish as a whole. Being from the south, I am all about my seasonings and spices. Enter in the blackened seasoning.
Blackened seasoning is not only great for adding to chicken and fish alone, but also to sauces. It will give it that extra something to make you want to go back for seconds. Here is how I am using it in this Blackened Chicken Alfredo.
Homemade style Alfredo Sauce.
As I mentioned earlier, the sauce is usually what brings all the flavor to a pasta dish. I have tried store bought Alfredo sauces, and they have never brought to a dish exactly what I wanted. I have always had to alter it someway. They are either too thick or just bland.
Making your own Alfredo sauce at home is actually simple. All you need is flour, oil, milk, and an Italian cheese blend. You start it off by making a roux, flour cooking in oil. Once you cook this for a few minutes, which you will now by the coloring of the flour-oil mixture, you will add the milk. This sauce thickens up quickly. You may need to add more milk along the way to get the consistency you want. Add the cheese last.
As for the seasonings, I normally stick with Italian, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and of course, blackened seasoning.
Make it even easier with prepped chicken.
Another thing I love about this recipe is the fact you can use an already prepped protein, like chicken. I used already cooked grilled chicken bites that I picked up at Costco. You can find these about anywhere. If you can’t find the already cooked chicken, just grill a few pieces of chicken breast!
You can even opt in shrimp instead of the chicken. You will add the shrimp in at the very last 5 minutes since they don’t take long at all to cook.
- 3-4 cups of grilled chicken breast bites
- 1 package of penne pasta
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 1/2-2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of Italian blend shredded cheese
- 2 teaspoon Blackened Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook penne pasta according to directions on package
- Heat up 1/3 cup of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium high heat
- Once the vegetable oil seems to be heated up, and flour. Begin stirring immediately. Do not stop stirring for too long. The flour will burn. Stir for about 5 minutes, or until the flour begins to turn a more brown color.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of milk and stir. Then add all the seasonings.
- Lastly add the cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted into the sauce. Reduce the heat to a medium low heat. If the sauce begins to get too thick, you can add more milk.
- Before serving, add the chicken to the sauce to warm it up.
- After about 5 minutes, add in the cooked pasta.
- Serve with shredded parmesan and diced tomatoes!
There is always room for pasta!
In my opinion, there is always room for pasta! I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do!