Celebrating Father’s Day with the best pulled pork in the oven.
We are all about celebrating Father’s Day. It normally consists of quality time with dad, that may or may not still include a bit of sibling rivalry. The kids are all about keeping it normal no matter what the holiday may be 😉 The one thing that I do have control over is the special dinner to celebrate all that he does for our family. This recipe is hands down the best pulled pork recipe in the oven.
A recipe to remember.
I have, or ‘we’ have, cooked a lot of pulled pork in our home. It normally is done in the crock pot or in the outside cooker. It depends on how much time we have, etc. If I had to chose between the 2, I will always go with cooking pork in the outside cooker. This is because it gives the pork more flavor and leaves it with that oh so yummy outer ‘bark’. The crock pot is great for when I am in a hurry, but honestly doesn’t give the same amazing results as cooking in the outside cooker.
Now enter in this new recipe, all done in the oven. Ok, this is one that will require supervision like the outdoor cooker. It gives you that same great taste and easy to pull pork as if you had cooked it in the outside cooker.
Pork shoulder for Father’s Day.
This recipe is so simple. My toddler even helped me prep the pork shoulder! You just season the pork shoulder, then pop it in the oven, and enjoy that special father in your home. Here’s why I believe this is the best pulled pork in the oven recipe.
- 5-5 1/2 Boston Butt, Pork Shoulder (boneless if you can find it)
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of italian seasoning
- 2 tsp of Avec Tous Spicy Blend (or another Louisiana style spice blend)
- 2 tsp Butt Rub BBQ Seasoning
- 1 tsp of Meat Tenderizer
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Preheat oven to 250F (Roast option if possible)
- Mix all of the seasoning together.
- Place the Boston Butt in an aluminum foil lined 9x13 pan
- Massage the seasoning blend all over the sides and top of the pork shoulder.
- Cook (roast) in oven for 1 hour without being covered. Then remove and cover with foil, making sure the moisture is staying inside the foil with pork.
- After it has been cooking for 4 hours (since the very beginning), bump the temperature up to 300F.
- Cook for another 1 hour or until the temperature of the pork reaches an internal temperature of 200F.
- Remove from oven and keep the foil covering the pork as it rests for 30-45 minutes.
- Shred the pork with 2 forks, giving way to both completely shredded pieces as well as bite size pieces.
- Eat it alone or with some BBQ sauce!
Easy, simple, and oh so delicious.
I don’t know how to describe this any more in words. This recipe is truly the best pulled pork in the oven recipe I have come across. It gives the same delicious results as if you were to have cooked it in the outside cooker. Here’s to celebrating our dads with a yummy meal!